At the heart of is a long, white building called the de la Ossa adobe ranch. It can be toured by special appointment; simply call the park staff to set up a time and date in advance. , it's worth looking inside this historical part of Encino, which is one of the many reasons why the park is what
A brief history lesson
The de la Ossa adobe building, according to Los Encino docent Michael Crosby's excellent historical guide Encino, was built in 1849 by Vincent de la Ossa, who operated the ranch as a roadhouse for weary travelers.
Crosby writes that from 1849 to 1949, when the Department of Parks and Recreation acquired the property, the ranch had changed ownership multiple times. It passed from the de la Ossas to the Garniers, the Oxararts, the Glesses and the Amestoys. In 1937, it gained historic monument status.
Jennifer Dandurand, park interpretive specialist for the Department of Parks and Recreation was kind enough to give Encino Patch a tour of the inside of the de la Ossa ranch. Click on the photo gallery above for a look inside the building. To see it for yourself, call the park on 818-784-4849 to set up an appointment.
Keeping the park open
Park staff told Encino Patch that it was their understanding that the park would stay open until July 2013, although no official statement has been issued. The park received an anonymous donation of $150,000 in January, preventing its closure this year. For details on how to make a donation, , or visit the California State Parks Foundation website.
And ciick on the links below to read Encino Patch's complete coverage of the issue.